Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally getting somewhere! 120 gallon setup [emoji4]
Hi all!

So for the past few months I've been working toward setting up my first ever saltwater tank! The plan has changed and evolved along the way but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! Here's a little back story...

I've had freshwater tanks for almost 25 years but was always afraid to jump to saltwater. The beginning of 2018 I decided to bite the bullet and go for it! The original plan was to set up my old 25 gallon, that quickly changed to buying a 50 gallon. The 50 gallon fell through and I found and bought a 90 gallon with the stand and canopy. That tank had a few issues and I wasn't comfortable fixing it up so I made the call to sell the 90 setup and buy a new one. My original plan to set up a 25 gallon has now become a 120 gallon! I'm definitely not complaining!

Today is stand building day! I'll post pics as we go along. Once again I'm brand new at this saltwater thing so any advice is welcomed!

Lesson #1

MEASURE THE ACTUAL FOOTPRINT OF YOUR TANK! Lol! We planned our stand based on the 60x18 dimensions on the tank package, actual footprint is 60 3/8 x 18 1/2. Lesson learned. We had started assembly before it occurred to me to measure... 6 extra 2x4s... our stand will be sturdy!

More pics to follow [Image: 924ff62788ecba9c36687cb6476c381f.jpg][Image: 837a07c12e152d3a6fe21e54eaa23a6c.jpg]

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amymurray's post:
  • Fusilier
Remember to allow space for overflow plumbing coming out the bottom if it’s plumbed. Great start!
Great start your on your way now
(26-May-2018, 06:54 PM)Cabinetman Wrote: Remember to allow space for overflow plumbing coming out the bottom if it’s plumbed. Great start!
Thank you! We were about to put a brace in the way...

Frame is pretty much done, going to add a leg in the centre front and back but the sump will go in first. It's over-built due to our original mistake in measuring but it will be strong. Headed out for plywood now! [Image: 0bec6aa1ce76f76c399f13671e948562.jpg]

You really don’t need a centre leg in my opinion. I’ve made lots of stands for 180’s and 120’s and never had any
That looks mighty sturdy
how high did you build it?
(27-May-2018, 03:31 PM)Amymurray Wrote: Frame is pretty much done, going to add a leg in the centre front and back but the sump will go in first. It's over-built due to our original mistake in measuring but it will be strong. Headed out for plywood now! [Image: 0bec6aa1ce76f76c399f13671e948562.jpg]

Very sturdy. Just wondering with all those verticals studs, how are you going to access the sump for maintenance ? Is there anything going under the tank ? You will need access doors of some sort I think.
It'll be 37 inches with the top on it.