Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help please
Not sure what is happening, i have done some big water changes 1/3, used chemi clean, looks like all the steel balls are out (used a magnet) thermometer broke. I have some zoas gsp in the tank that look fine,  big and open. Water test are all fine alk, is stable, 0 ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate, temp is stable. but still losing fish. no signs of distress on the fish at all. water is all ro/id and natural sea water which was tested before i put it in. in the last week i lost a yellow and powder blue tang, 2 clowns, and 2 bang cards, and a lawnmower blenny. I have a 6 line, firefish and another bang card that look fine but we will see.  All fish were active and eating right up until i found dead. Just at a lose not sure what else i can do. have about 50 cuc that also seem fine lost a couple hermits but i think that was a result of the other hermits wanting the shell.  any suggestions or ideas welcome. I do have some red slime but not much and have been removing with the water changes.
Sounds to me like a disease like velvet. Those thermometer are supposed to be made of fish safe stuff I always thought. When was the last fish you added and did you qt? Soon as I hear powder blue tang....
That is a hard one, what is your PH like? If your oxygen is low could cause die off.
Possible something got in the water. I find my softies don't always tell me if there is something in the water but my SPS usually does.
Are you running carbon could help take out?
Maybe try this might help you figure out if there is excess something in the water.
https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store...4-x-8.html
(31-Oct-2019, 08:40 AM)DavidLong Wrote: That is a hard one, what is your PH like? If your oxygen is low could cause die off.
Possible something got in the water. I find my softies don't always tell me if there is something in the water but my SPS usually does.
Are you running carbon could help take out?
Maybe try this might help you figure out if there is excess something in the water.
https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store...4-x-8.html
no carbon, 6 line was the last in about 6 weeks ago and he still seems fine. no QT tank will be picking one up this week
How many fish did you have total? Wasnt this a very new tank?
(31-Oct-2019, 09:22 AM)C-Dub Wrote: How many fish did you have total? Wasnt this a very new tank?
tank is about 6 months old had 10 fish, cycled with rock and sand for 2 months went through the usual spikes and waited for them to finish before any fish were added, 2 clowns added first at about 9-10 weeks after set up, 2 weeks later 3 bang cards, 3 weeks a lawnmower blenny and fire fish. the about 2 - 3 weeks later the 2 tangs and 6line shortly after. tested water every 3 to for days and before and after every addition to the tank. never any real problems with the tests then about a week to 2 ago the fish started to drop like flies 1 or 2 every day or 2. only the 6line and fire fish left.  everything still testing every day and all tests look fine.
Its hard to help when you are not being honest. Was thinking the tank was quite new:

http://arrgroup.ca/showthread.php?tid=3205

it has been running less than 2 months and already 10 fish. I would say you likely rushed the tank to much and its crashing due to overload.

Is there any fungus on the fish? Anything that would make you think disease?

If not i would pick up some colony/microbacter7 or some sort of cycling bacteria. Are you using RODI water?

When you say all tests are good, what are the test results and what test kits?
Ammonia spikes will kill fish faster than anything but to me it sounds like you’ve got velvet in the tank
(31-Oct-2019, 10:27 AM)C-Dub Wrote: Its hard to help when you are not being honest. Was thinking the tank was quite new:

it has been running less than 2 months and already 10 fish. I would say you likely rushed the tank to much and its crashing due to overload.

If not i would pick up some colony/microbacter7 or some sort of cycling bacteria.  Are you using RODI water?

that pic was not day one. either way the times were ball park i can't remember the dates every happened. i may have rushed a bit, my bad.
(31-Oct-2019, 12:15 PM)twast Wrote:
(31-Oct-2019, 10:27 AM)C-Dub Wrote: Its hard to help when you are not being honest. Was thinking the tank was quite new:

If not i would pick up some colony/microbacter7 or some sort of cycling bacteria.  Are you using RODI water?

that pic was not day one. either way the times were ball park i can't remember the dates every happened. i may have rushed a bit, my bad.
the test were just the api test i know they are not great but should at the very lase some elevated levels. the colors were showing 0 for the ammonia and nitrate/nitrite. i am seeing no fungus on the fish/ no white dots and fins look fine