Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hinges
I have the two reefers and the waterbox at the office. The hinges provided for the cabinets on all three are staring to rust already and, some of them, are starting to bind.

Where to you all get hinges? Or how do you treat them to prevent rust? And, is it safe to use WD40 or anything at this point that will not get into the water column? I was thinking more rubbing it in than spraying it. But I am reluctant to even try that.
Can you get the hinges off maybe Plast-dip them ? Lee valley might have some stainless hinges.
Not sure if I’d put anything on them and risk contamination.
Only thing I might consider would be to sand them clean and maybe put a thin layer of petroleum jelly over after that might reduce the oxygenation. But there is a risk associated with that but way less then spraying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would go to Richelieu hardware in Burnside park They will likely have a replacement hinges for you then I would try to do something about the moisture by using a little fan to ventilate that area and that should stop them from rusting. On my 560 gallon the whole top was closed in and the hinges stayed perfect the two years I had it up and running because the hood was vented. It doesn’t take much either
Reefers generally use really bad hinges that fail anywhere around the 1 year mark. Redsea does sell replacements, but if you could find other, higher quality replacements i would try that. Like the others said, maybe get the higher quality ones from burinside and either slatherthem in petroleum jelly or spray them with a water repellent. I have used neverwet on hinges before, helps to bead the water off but i just made sure that it didnt drip back into the tank, just for my own piece of mind.
I took my doors off and called it a day, looks nice! lol
Well, I think I am going to have a problem. In both cases, the bottom hinge is blocked out by the sump. I can get the door off the hinge but getting the hinge out of the cabinet will be an issue! These are stainless but not quite good stainless. More like kitchen utensil stainless so it will rust.

I like the idea of leaving the doors off, but I think my wife might object since they are in the living room. I guess I will have to source something and drain the sump down enough to slide it around.
Can you somehow remove the hinges and then make a holder on the bottom of the door to lock into the cabinet then use strong magnets for the top? Then they are easy to pop off when needed.
(21-Nov-2019, 01:16 PM)nsfishguy Wrote: Can you somehow remove the hinges and then make a holder on the bottom of the door to lock into the cabinet then use strong magnets for the top?  Then they are easy to pop off when needed.

Another option. I will have to think about that one. See if I can figure a way to do it without damaging the look of it.

Thnaks
[-] The following 1 user Likes DougS's post:
  • DavidLong