Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPS Problems
So my ATO just got stuck on again and dumped a bunch of Kalk water into the tank. All the Euphillia, Duncans, flower pots, shrooms ect are closed up for the most part.

The SPS and the zoa's are looking better than ever before. The zoa's are noticeably larger than I've ever seen and the SPS polyps are fully extended. I've always had a problem with my SPS polyps not fully extending, some corals I never see them.

I always blamed it on poor flow and a black clown goby that I've seen nipping at the polyps before but when I frag them and move them to the tank downstairs I still don't get polyp extension and the corals I've never seen with polyps now have them out.

PH went from 8.1 to 8.6
Alk went from 7.0 - 8.1
Salinity went from 1.026 to 1.024

What would cause these polyps to finally extend?
Here's one coral that I've never seen the polyps on before, yellow slimer now they're out and noticeable. Theres also a Miyagi Tort that I grew from a small frag to the size of my hand, moved to the tank downstairs and just left a small frag in this tank now it has polpys.

[Image: IMG-20191202-160155.jpg]

Did a 5g water change, all the corals opened back up and the SPS polyps went away again.
Likely from your Alk swinging into the desired range above 8?
Desired range is actually 6.5-8. The Ocean is around a 7.0.

I've always found polyps to be nutrient based and maturity based, but your tank is more than old enough for the maturity part. Sometimes stuff just doesnt make sense with SPS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes C-Dub's post:
  • DavidLong
Can't win I guess. Going to try and raise the PH and Alk to see if one of those were the reason for them opening up. Hopefully everything else just closed up due to the fast change of parameters. 

Knew there was a lot of black brittle stars in the tank but never actually noticed how many until they all came out when they didn't like the change. At least 100 in a 20g tank.

[Image: IMG-20191202-160217.jpg]
I typically keep my ALK at 7.5ish, but always wondered about increasing it 2 or 3 DKH and what it would do. I'm not a risk taker Smile
I would actually consider going the other way Diggler. Ive found the most success with a alk below 7. I usually shoot for a 6.5 alk. High alk 10-11+ along with very low nutrients has been known to cause tips to burn off.
(04-Dec-2019, 12:03 PM)diggler93 Wrote: I typically keep my ALK at 7.5ish, but always wondered about increasing it 2 or 3 DKH and what it would do.  I'm not a risk taker Smile

Did that this summer/fall, lost 3 colonies lol deepwater acros were never meant for high alk, my whole red dragon rtn'd at about 10dkh.
(04-Dec-2019, 12:09 PM)C-Dub Wrote: I would actually consider going the other way Diggler. Ive found the most success with a alk below 7. I usually shoot for a 6.5 alk. High alk 10-11+ along with very low nutrients has been known to cause tips to burn off.

Eeek... 6.5 ALK.....  as I said I'm not a risk taker....   Smile
Between the anemone incident and in a panic changed salt that was alk of 10 with the losses and 200% water change my alk hit 10 and lost my 5 yer old bonsia colony and my my stuff from TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk