Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sps Question
Quick question for the Sps people out there.

I have two tanks, a 20g Nuvo and a 45g AIO. Both tanks are pretty much identical as far as parameters and gear. AI primes on both tanks, same salt, same dosing, temp, filter floss, pond matrix, skimmer and a 25% water change every week. 

As easy as it can get and I can swap any corals I want around without any acclimation or trouble. Except for two corals, the 20g has a Bubblegum Digi in it that grows so fast that I have to frag it every other week, I have so many frags of this thing that I've started tossing them out due to having no room.

I put them in the 45g tank, the polyps retract and they stop growing. They stay alive but just won't grow so I place them back in the 20g and they take off again.

The exact opposite happens with a blue Stylophora that grows at an insane rate in the 45g tank but when placed in the 20g the polyps retract and it will stay alive but won't grow. 

The only two differences that I can see are the light height being 3-4 inches higher in the 45g and much more flow in the 45g. That being said I've tried both corals in all different low/high flow and light spots in both tanks and still get the same results.

What am I missing?
Same salt/waterchange schedule? light could play a factor for sure, but ive never acclimated SPS to anything before. Something nipping with a preference maybe?
Greenough Wrote:Quick question for the Sps people out there.

I have two tanks, a 20g Nuvo and a 45g AIO. Both tanks are pretty much identical as far as parameters and gear. AI primes on both tanks, same salt, same dosing, temp, filter floss, pond matrix, skimmer and a 25% water change every week. 

As easy as it can get and I can swap any corals I want around without any acclimation or trouble. Except for two corals, the 20g has a Bubblegum Digi in it that grows so fast that I have to frag it every other week, I have so many frags of this thing that I've started tossing them out due to having no room.

I put them in the 45g tank, the polyps retract and they stop growing. They stay alive but just won't grow so I place them back in the 20g and they take off again.

The exact opposite happens with a blue Stylophora that grows at an insane rate in the 45g tank but when placed in the 20g the polyps retract and it will stay alive but won't grow. 

The only two differences that I can see are the light height being 3-4 inches higher in the 45g and much more flow in the 45g. That being said I've tried both corals in all different low/high flow and light spots in both tanks and still get the same results.

What am I missing?
Must be something with lights and flow . You should post your Bubblegum Digi frags on site they would sell quick. I have the same problems with my 2 tanks colts grow like crazy in my 60g but not in my 120g devils hands great in the 120g but not in the 60g
(23-Dec-2019, 10:06 PM)You Greenough Wrote: Quick question for the Sps people out there.

What am I missing?
Let me next time you drag the bubble gum digi because I would take a couple of frags from you instead of you throwing them out
Montipora mike Wrote:
You Greenough Wrote:Quick question for the Sps people out there.

What am I missing?
Let me next time you drag the bubble gum digi because I would take a couple of frags from you instead of you throwing them out
same here
I would be hard pressed to find that you can get both tanks running the same flow and lights, but you can try sure you will come up with something
[-] The following 1 user Likes REEFER-RICK's post:
  • DavidLong
(23-Dec-2019, 10:16 PM)C-Dub Wrote: Same salt/waterchange schedule? light could play a factor for sure, but ive never acclimated SPS to anything before. Something nipping with a preference maybe?

Every Saturday they both get a water change. Have also thought about the nipping but have never seen anything nip at them unless its happening at night.
(23-Dec-2019, 11:31 PM)REEFER-RICK Wrote: I would be hard pressed  to find that you can get both tanks running the same flow and lights, but you can try sure you will come up with something

All the lights have the same spectrum and schedule and I've moved both corals all around both tanks with High/Low flow and light. Nothing changes, I can put the Digi in the back of my 20g with zero flow in a shaded area and it will still grow faster and look better than anywhere in the 45g.
What about nutrient level? Same in both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(24-Dec-2019, 11:39 AM)diggler93 Wrote: What about nutrient level?  Same in both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're all pretty close to the same. Some things are off a little like calc being 420 in one and 410 in another and the Alk swings from around 7.8 - 7 every day in the 20 where the 45 stays around 7.4-7.5 but no huge differences like it would be a problem. 

Every other coral I move from tank to tank does fine in both. I'll check the Mag, pretty much the only thing I haven't tested.