Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unwanted Zoa's
Do you happen to have any photos of them? you might need to scrape them off/cut them off and then get them with a net while you do it so they don't float around. If you can get them off in a good chunk, I might be interested in them haha.
(08-Jan-2020, 01:06 PM)kmackenzie Wrote: Do you happen to have any photos of them? you might need to scrape them off/cut them off and then get them with a net while you do it so they don't float around. If you can get them off in a good chunk, I might be interested in them haha.

I wouldn't let anyone touch these things. Once they got through the wall of zoa's I had in the way and onto the main rockwork they grew 3+ polpys a day. They grow right up other corals and smother them out and anytime I touched them they would let off brown mush that would make all the other corals close up.

Tanks pretty much done, was going to try and save some of the corals and put them in my other tank but not going to risk it. These thing were going to take over the whole tank within a couple months anyways. Just going to turn it into a frag tank.

Theres a few corals that were not effected at all but most are bleached out already.
I think I know the ones...should be a sign up in the LFS; "Warning these corals are WEEDS if you put these in your tank you wont be able to get them out" picture of them below.
These are great corals to start with but once you put them in your tank they will be like weeds and smother out anything nice you put in. I got a couple heads of that have survived of my trying to kill them off.
Any picts of these or name of them?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AQUARIUS's post:
  • Ryan Landry
They're called "you don't want them in your tank" lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryan Landry's post:
  • DavidLong
Ill cross those off my need and want coral list.. Thanks
Last picture I managed to take. Pretty much everything but the fish/inverts died but did learn a lot in the 1-2 years it was up. Was going to just turn it into a frag tank but the wife convinced me to just start over.

[Image: IMG-20191229-185356.jpg]
All zoas have a paly toxin. It's how they defend against other corals. Smashing them will release toxins into the water column. Pallies are just far more toxic. The best way I've found is to hammer and chisel the rock. If that's not an option try aptasia x. Make sure all the flow is off and run carbon to soak up the toxins.
I agree with the hammer and chisel technique. Just don’t end up in the news.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/...-1.5130782

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-Jan-2020, 11:00 AM)GreenerA Wrote: All zoas have a paly toxin. It's how they defend against other corals. Smashing them will release toxins into the water column. Pallies are just far more toxic. The best way I've found is to hammer and chisel the rock. If that's not an option try aptasia x. Make sure all the flow is off and run carbon to soak up the toxins.

Palytoxin is an actual name of a non protein toxin, and no, not all zoas have any detectable levels of it. If this were true, you’d be seeing a lot more cases of it in the media than the odd individual that has dealt with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes daelie's post:
  • Ryan Landry