Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filtration Conundrum
First time salty here.  Ive had freshwater in the past, but always found salt more intriguing.
Ive been planning & slowly buying up dry goods/stock for a few weeks now in preparation for my upcoming build.

I am fixing up / modding a 29gal used AIO tank I was given.

I have plans for the lid, light, rock, sand etc. But keep running into the age old problem of ‘too much information’ when it comes to mechanical & chemical filtration plans for my setup.

Right now the AIO compartment is open with nothing.
I am sort of building it from scratch, hence my information overload, and inability to settle on a setup.
It has one large stiff foam block that I was going to cut two small sections out of to place a bag of carbon and ceramics.

I dont plan on carrying a huge bioload, so Im not planning on getting a skimmer (notice I said ‘not planning’ there, so basically the door is open a crack to the idea. If after the tank is running and maturing, I think I am going to need one, then I’ll look into it. There is enough space in the AIO compartment to add a nano sized skimmer if the future calls for one)

But, back on topic, haha.
My plan was to cycle and start with FOWLR until the tank matures some, then start with some softies and LPS, if I thought the tank was ready.
I was looking at running (loose in a couple mesh bags which reside in a foam column with cutouts) carbon, and some sort of ceramic or the sort to aid in bacteria growth. Then once I started adding livestock look at a IM Minimax reactor running some bio plastics or the like, ie TwoLittleFishies NPX bioplastics, to help with phosphates.

But Im at a crossroads thinking Im being too redundant with the ceramics and plastics and missing on something else I should have in there?
Or if when I move to the reactor, switch the ceramics out for something else, or run something different in the reactor.

ANY help/advise/recommended readings/suggestions would be appreciated!
Anything!
Welcome to the forum!! There’s lots of guys with smaller tanks on here and a few of them seem to just do regular water changes to maintain a healthy tank. Hopefully you’ll get some answers. Good luck with the salty side of things. You are officially ruined lol
[-] The following 2 users Like Cabinetman's post:
  • FamilyMan_4, Wilson
(23-Jun-2020, 03:14 PM)Cabinetman Wrote: You are officially ruined lol

He's not lying there. It's like a meth habit, except you get to keep your teeth haha
[-] The following 3 users Like Rylan5d's post:
  • Cabinetman, FamilyMan_4, Wilson
Won't go too far into it because everyone's tank is different and what works for one might not work for yours but I can say that I feel like the most important piece of equipment I have is the RODI unit and a 20g brute trash can.

Weekly 5 to 10g water changes will help more than anything when first starting out and keeping the brute trash can full with salt water will allow you an instant 66% water change when something goes wrong.

If not using filter socks then use filter floss and tossing something like pond matrix or bio balls in a mesh bag is a really good idea for the back compartments because it makes them easy to just pull out so you can siphon out the back compartments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greenough's post:
  • FamilyMan_4
(28-Jun-2020, 08:32 PM)Greenough Wrote: but I can say that I feel like the most important piece of equipment I have is the RODI unit and a 20g brute trash can.

If not using filter socks then use filter floss and tossing something like pond matrix or bio balls in a mesh bag is a really good idea for the back compartments because it makes them easy to just pull out so you can siphon out the back compartments.

Awesome, Thanks!

My current running idea/plan is to do weekly 5gal changes after the cycle is finished
and run a bag or carbon and another bag of matrix in the back
also where I will be using all dry rock for the aquascape, Im hoping to find some small live rock pieces, more like rubble or pebbles, and keep a bag those to keep in the back as well

Im hunting RODI units as well currently, so I can have it ready before i fill the tank.
Any suggestions on best place to source?  where im not running a huge tank, im wondering if a smaller size unit like the RODI Buddie or the AquaFX Seahorse would be alright.  But also im trying to find something where replacement media/cartridges aren’t hard to find

Also space isnt a luxury for me, so im hoping to find a 10gal container so keep saltwater mixed in.  Do brutes even come in that size? And where’s the best place around town to find one?
(23-Jun-2020, 03:14 PM)Cabinetman Wrote: You are officially ruined lol

He's not lying there. It's like a meth habit, except you get to keep your teeth haha[/quote]

HAHA, thanks....

I have an Aquatic Life RO buddie with di cartridge.

Will need new filters very soon, but I’ll gladly give it to you.
I was given a BRS 5 stage RODI unit, and want to pass mine on to someone who needs one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rylan5d's post:
  • FamilyMan_4
(29-Jun-2020, 02:34 PM)Rylan5d Wrote: I have an Aquatic Life RO buddie with di cartridge.

Will need new filters very soon, but I’ll gladly give it to you.
I was given a BRS 5 stage RODI unit, and want to pass mine on to someone who needs one.

Thanks so much!
That would be awesome 

I can see from your info you are in Moncton, I'm in Halifax.
I can send you shipping money
Coming down on Friday, if you want it I’ll bring it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(29-Jun-2020, 06:29 PM)Rylan5d Wrote: Coming down on Friday, if you want it I’ll bring it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SURE!
Im off all week.
I cannot thank you enough for this!

Just tell me when and where!